Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I'm starting to settle into my new life; new routines, new patterns.  Money is a little tight now, as always, but I feel the need to be more mindful of saving money.  My cupboards are full, so I decided that a good way to cut back on costs would be to use up everything I have before I buy more food stuff, except for fresh things(milk, eggs, bread, fruit...).  So I went through everything and found that I have tons of potatoes, all still good and ready to be cooked.  I ended up making a big batch of Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes.  Now to get started on the rest of my spring cleaning....

Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
potatoes, amount depends on how big a batch you want to make
1 cup frozen cauliflower
butter
milk
oregano
garlic salt
cheese, whichever kind you like or have on hand

Start Cooking:
1.  Chop potatoes into small pieces(the smaller the pieces, the faster it will cook!)  Put the potatoes and cauliflower in a large pot and boil until tender.  Time varies depending on amount of potatoes.
2.  Drain potatoes and cauliflower, then return to pot.  Add milk and butter and mash with a potato masher.  You can add however much milk and butter you like, depending on how creamy you want your potatoes to be.  Once the potatoes and cauliflower are mashed, add oregano and garlic salt to taste.  Add cheese to taste.  Mix well.
3.  Put potatoes mixture in a greased baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven until golden brown on top.

Tips and Hints:
1.  Why cauliflower?  This is a trick I picked up from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld.  The cauliflower adds nutrients and you can't even taste it in with the potatoes.
2.  I love cheese.  I added some cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.  You can really add whatever cheese you like or have on hand.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. hi there, i am a ravelry member, i saw angela had passed and i was looking at her blog which linked me to yours.
    I sincerely hope you are doing okay. I am so sorry that you and your boyfriend have broken up. I am sure he is in pain because of angelas passing too, this was not a good start to your year.
    I like your recipes, they all look tasty. I may have to try a few. Good luck in the future, and keep hanging on!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words. Life is hard, but i'm doing ok. Angela was an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete