Friday, August 13, 2010

Local Food

Summer is great for so many different things.  One of my favorites: cooking with local produce.  There are so many different fruits and veggies in season right now, why not take advantage of it?  So this summer I decided to explore some different local farm markets.  This past week, we went to Paulus Farm Market in Mechanicsburg, PA.  They also have a stand in Dillsburg, PA.  This was a little bit of a drive for us, but well worth it.
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our day out at the farm.  We are a young couple, still in college, and money is tight.  We used our day at the farm as a "date."  Pick your own is a cheap way to get great produce and it's something we can do together.  Then we go home and cook together =)
This farm market has a pick your own flower field.  We picked two buckets of flowers, then arranged them all over the apartment.  The cats really liked them too :)


We were going to pick our own blueberries, but were too late... the pick your own closed at 1 PM and we were there around 3PM.  So I just bought blueberries already picked.  I also got some potatoes and zucchini.


So what am I going to make?  
Blueberry Muffins
Roasted Potatoes 
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

I'll be posting the recipes soon!  

2 comments:

  1. Good entry! i like the personal touches! exactly what i meant!

    ReplyDelete