Sunday, August 8, 2010

Green Beans!

I love green beans.  They are probably my favorite vegetable.  I found this recipe for a two bean salad and had to try it.  This is served cold, so it's not boyfriend approved(he "doesn't like cold green beans").  But I loved it, so I thought that I would share.

Ingredients:
12 oz green beans, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 can (15.5 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed

Start Cooking:
1. Boil green beans until just tender, about 8 minutes.  Drain, then rinse with cold water.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, pepper, mustard and salt.  Slowly whisk in oil.  Stir in onion and oregano, then let stand 10 minutes.
3.  Add green beans and white beans to dressing, toss to coat the beans.
4.  Serve at room temperature.

Tips and Hints:
1.  The original recipe that I found called for tomatoes.  No one in my house likes tomatoes, so I left them out.  If you would like, add 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes when you mix in the beans.
2.  This makes 6 (1 cup) servings.

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. These were delicious!! I modified the recipe to suit what I had on hand as well as my personal preferences - still great. I used these yummy long flat beans from my CSA instead of traditional green beans, scallions instead of the sweet onion, and made probably twice the amount of dressing because...I like lots of dressing. Good one, Em!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete