Friday, June 11, 2010

Pasta Salad

drum roll please...  I did it, I made real pasta salad!  I know, not that exciting, but I've never done it before.
I did a combination of suggestions that I received and recipes that I found.

Ingredients: 
pasta(whatever shape you like, I used bow tie)
cucumbers
red peppers
carrots
tomatoes(if you like them, I don't)
chick peas
Italian dressing

Start Cooking:
1. Cook pasta per directions on box/bag.  Let noodles cool.
2. While pasta is cooking, chop all veggies into bite size pieces.  Drain and rinse chick peas.
3. Put veggies and chick peas in whatever container you will be serving or storing the salad in.  Add cooked pasta and Italian dressing, then mix well.


I then made english muffin pizzas to make a complete meal.

Ingredients:
whole grain light english muffins
reduced fat mozzarella cheese
reduced fat cheddar cheese
pizza sauce

Start cooking:
1. Lightly toast plain english muffins.  This prevents the bread from getting soggy.
2. Place toasted english muffins on a baking sheet.  spread pizza sauce on english muffins.  Top with 2 parts mozzarella cheese, 1 part cheddar cheese.
3. Bake until cheese is melted and crispy around the edges.


Hints and Tips:
1.  add chicken to pasta salad and pepperoni to pizzas for you meat eaters out there.
2.  To mix pasta salad: put a lid on the container and shake it!
3.  Line the baking sheet with tin foil for pizzas, makes for easy clean up!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Gurtler OgdenJune 13, 2010 at 1:50 PM

    I can't believe I never thought of adding chick peas to pasta salad! I add chick peas to everything else (they are great in spaghetti sauce) and sometimes just eat them straight from the can. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chick peas too! I added them for the protein, since I don't eat meat. I've never tried chick peas in spaghetti sauce, I'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete