Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Early Morning

I've been thinking about starting a blog for awhile now, and today I'm finally doing it.   Cooking is now one of my favorite hobbies, and I my goal is to share that with everyone.  I want to share recipes, tips, ideas...  


Today's recipe starts with breakfast, and one of my favorites: Baked Oatmeal. 

I'm not much of an early morning person, and cooking a big, healthy breakfast at 7 AM before work.  This recipe is my easy out - make a pan on the weekend and have a healthy breakfast for the rest of the week!   




Ok, so it's not very pretty looking...  but is oatmeal ever pretty?  


Ingredients:  
3 cups oats
1 cup brown sugar 
2 teaspoons cinnamon 
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup(1 stick) melted butter
2 teaspoon vanilla 
3/4 cup fruit (apples, cranberries, bananas, dried cherries...)
1/2 cup nuts (almonds, walnuts...)


1.  heat oven to 350
2. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.  
3. Add wet ingredients and mix well.  
4. Add fruit and nuts. 
5.  Pour into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes


You will see that the oatmeal is set and the edges are golden brown.  In this one, I used dried cherries and almonds.  I store it in the fridge, cut a square each morning and heat it up in the microwave.  I serve with milk.  A yummy and healthy breakfast that gives me energy for the work day!  


Enjoy!  


2 comments:

  1. Sarah Gurtler OgdenJune 2, 2010 at 12:14 PM

    I love your new blog. And I love cooking. I'll have to find my baked oatmeal recipe to compare yours to. I've found that you can substitute unrefined coconut oil in place of butter without a noticable difference. Coconut oil is great for you. The fats are more easily usable, so you are more likely to have enery during the day and less likely to build up celulite (although I seem to have no problem maintaining plenty of celulite no matter what I eat). My sister-in-law bakes her oatmeal in a cupcake pan and freezes it. Then you have individual servings ready to warm up in the microwave. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I love the muffin tin idea :)

    ReplyDelete