Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gardening Adventure!

As some of you know, I moved into a great new house this January 2012.  Along with my great house, I got a nice back yard, with lots of open space.  I then got the brilliant idea of planting a veggie garden this year.  After some planning, and looking into all the details, I felt a little overwhelmed with everything.  But I thought, what the heck, I've made it through worse!  So started my gardening adventure!   

This morning, I spent two and a half hours working in my yard; weeding the garden bed, edging it with rocks, finding old boards to make walking paths with, and a brief run in with poison ivy(oops!), and finally planting some seeds.  So far I have planted green beans, cucumbers, carrots, and a few kinds of sunflowers, all from seeds.  Lets hope they make it!  

My garden, as of today
And this is what I have to show for 2.5 hours of work!  Doesn't look like much yet, let's hope it starts looking like something worthwhile soon!  I bought some tomato and sweet pepper starter plants that I will be adding to the garden in a few weeks.  

I hope to cook a lot from my garden.  No farms, no food, right?  Can the same be said for backyard garden plots?  I also hope to buy and cook locally and in season this summer.  Stay tuned for more garden adventure updates and local/in season cooking posts!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment