Sunday, May 20, 2012

Garden Update!


My backyard garden has had its ups and down over the past few weeks.
The green bean seeds sprouted and are growing nicely; they are about 4 inches tall today.  The sunflower seeds have also sprouted.  I planted started plants for green peppers, tomatoes and zucchini; those have responded nicely and continue to grow.
little green bean plants

The cucumber seeds did not do anything; I believe they died.  BUT.... yesterday I was at my mom's house and we went on a walk in the neighborhood.  One of my mom's neighbors was selling cucumber starter plants for $1 a plant!  The neighbor said that she had way too many to fit in her garden so she was selling the extras.  I picked up a few healthy cucumber plants!  
I planted carrot seeds and I think they started to sprout; there are little green grass like leaves where I planted the carrot seeds.  


I also made some more improvement to the garden: I bought a small fence to go around the garden.  I don't want the bunnies to be able to eat my veggies.  I live in a suburban neighborhood, so I don't have to worry about larger animals getting in my garden.  So I bought a fence that's about a foot and a half tall.  Home improvement stores and Wal Mart sell these kinds of fences.  You just stick them in the ground.  I also put tomato cages around my tomato plants.  I'm not really sure what the tomato cages do, but I know it's important!  

garden plot with new fence!  This plot has green beans, cucumbers,  zucchini, and maybe carrots! 

This plot has green pepper plants and tomato plants.  It's kinda hard to see the tomato cages in the picture, but I
promise they are there! 

The biggest thing that I have learned so far with my garden is that it is VERY important to water the plants a TON!  If it is not raining, you MUST water you plants!!!!  I normally water first thing in the morning and then again in the evening.  That seems to be working for now.  

I have come to really enjoy my garden.  It gives me something to do and I have a good excuse to be outside.  I'm looking forward to when my veggies come in!  I can't wait to cook with the food I grew in my own back yard!




No comments:

Post a Comment