Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cauliflower and Mashed Potatoes

I hate cauliflower.  My boyfriend hates cauliflower.  So I decided to make cauliflower.  Well, sort of.  My new favorite cookbook is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.  All of these recipes hide fruits and veggies in yummy food to try and get kids to eat healthier.  I read their recipe for mashed potatoes, using a cauliflower puree, and thought that I'd give it a try.  I love mashed potatoes.  My boyfriend loves  mashed potatoes.  So why not throw in some cauliflower?  I made the mistake of telling my boyfriend, not a big veggie eater, what I was making before I started.  He didn't like the idea very much.  But I went ahead and made it anyway.  Turns out that you can't taste the cauliflower at all; just tastes like normal mashed potatoes.  Final result:  this recipe is boyfriend approved!

In order to make this recipe, you will need to make a cauliflower puree first.
Ingredients:
cauliflower
water


Start Cooking:
1.  Put the cauliflower in a food processor with about 2-3 tablespoons of water.  Puree for about 2 minutes until a creamy paste forms.  You might need to stop the food processor and scrape down the sides.  You also might need to add more water to get the right texture.


Now that you have the cauliflower puree, you can make the mashed potatoes! 
Ingredients:
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oregano(my addition)

Start Cooking:
1.  Put the potatoes and salt in a large pot, with enough water to cover the potatoes.  Boil over high heat for about 15-20 minutes.  You should be able to easily pierce the potatoes with a fork when done. 
2.  Drain potatoes and return to pot.  Use a potatoes masher to begin to mash the potatoes.  Then add remaining ingredients and continue to mash, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.  Serve warm.  



Tips and Hints:
1.  I served mine with some cheese on top for a little extra protein.  You can add all of your favorite potato toppings.  
2.  Nutrition info: Deceptively Delicious says that 1 cup of cauliflower has 25 calories and may help fight off some types of cancer.  It can also help resist infection because it is high in vitamin C.  
3.  Make extra!  Mashed potatoes make great left overs!  

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment