Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Well, it's semi homemade.  I'm all for easy, but yummy, cooking.  I wanted to make my own tomato sauce. I wanted to be able to add my own flavors, and have it just the way I like it.  But I did NOT want to be cooking and stirring all day.  So I came up with an easy, fast recipe for a simple sauce.  I use canned tomatoes that are already peeled, so I don't have to spend the extra time peeling fresh tomatoes.

Ingredients:
1 large can peeled Italian style plum tomatoes
garlic
onion
olive oil
salt and pepper
seasonings

Start Cooking:
1.  Finely chop the garlic and the onion.  I normally use 3/4 of a white onion and 2-3 garlic cloves.  You can adjust to your own taste.   Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a sauce pan.  Add the chopped garlic and onion and a little salt.  Cook until translucent, almost browned.
About half way through the cooking process for the onion and garlic. 
2.  Add the entire can of tomatoes, do not drain.  Use a potato masher to mash tomatoes to desired thickness.  You can leave it chunkier or make it smoother.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add other seasonings to taste.  I normally add basil and oregano, to taste.  

3.  Let cook on low heat for about 30 minutes.  This will thicken the sauce and give it a great flavor.  


Tips and Hints:
1.  I use a hand held chopper to chop the onion and garlic.  It goes a lot faster and I don't cry as much with the onions.  
2.  Once your sauce is done, store in the fridge in containers, freeze it, can it, whatever you want.  

Enjoy!  



No comments:

Post a Comment