Friday, October 21, 2011

Apples!

When I think of fall, I always think of Apples.  I like to eat apples as a snack and I also like to cook or bake with them.  Today, I went to lunch with a friend at Brown's and picked up a 1/2 peck of apples when I was there.  Brown's is a farm market and cafe in York County, PA.  They grow their own apples and offer pick your own.  Remember, No farms, No food!
Apple at Brown's

When I got home with all the apples, I pulled out a few cook books and went in search of a breakfast recipe using muffins.  I found a simple recipe for apple muffins in the Joy Of Cooking book.  I adjusted the recipe a little, adding vanilla extract, and taking out the nuts.  

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped apples 
5 tablespoons of butter, melted
1/2 chopped nuts, optional 

Start Cooking: 
1.  In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  In another bowl mix eggs, sugar, apples, and butter.  Add nuts if you want.  
2.  Pour the two bowls together, and fold until mixed.  
3.  Pour into greased muffin tins, about 12 muffins.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 14-16 minutes.  Let cool a for about 3 minutes in the tins and then cool on cooling rack.  

Tips and Hints:
1.  Serve warm, with butter.  
2.  Keep in the fridge so they last longer.  

Enjoy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment